Sunday, April 18, 2010

RAIN MAN


Those who don’t know Dustin Hoffman,must see this movie,he will change your views about acting and this movie shows how to live a character.

It’s a story about conflict between two brothers.Selfish yuppie Charlie Babbitt’s (Tom Cruise)father dies and leaves a fortune — to Raymond(Dustin Hoffman), the institutionalized savant brother that Charlie didn’t know he had. They set out on a cross-country journey of discovery.

The movie is all about character reading of Raymond and how he watched the world.One of the most famous scene in the movie goes like that:

[In a telephone booth with the door closed]
Raymond: Uh oh fart. Uh oh fart.
Charlie: Did you fart, Ray? Did you fucking fart?
Raymond: Fart.
Charlie: [Trying unsuccessfully to open the door] How can you stand that?
Raymond: I don’t mind it.
Charlie: How can you stand it?
Raymond: Ten minutes to Wapner. We’re definitely locked in this box with no TV.

During a interview with Rajeev Masand he said this :

Rajeev Masand: Did you know while filming it that it was going to be special?

Dustin Hoffman: No, because I don’t know that I was going to fart. How do you say fart in Punjab? No, really, I liked working with Tom Cruise very much on that film. It was 1988 and we had great fun and Barry Levinson who directed it allowed us to improvise and we had this scene in a telephone booth with radio mikes on and while we were shooting it, I farted! It was probably after lunch.

And Tom improvised and he called me by my character’s name and said, “Ray, Ray, did you fart?” So since we had to improvise, I said, ya “fart, fart.”

And it’s one of the high moments of my life. I have done Shakespeare and I have done plays by Arthur Miller, but nothing can touch the fart scene.

This movie won 4 oscars(Best Actor,Best Picture,Best Director,Best Writing, Original Screenplay).

No comments:

Post a Comment