Thursday, May 27, 2010

Dr. Bookworm:How to write Your Own Fantasy

There was a noose around my neck and the background music was ‘Sometimes I feel Like I been tied to the whipping post’. Suddenly there was a robo-soldier on the whipping post. As soon as he tried to clinch the lever, a tiny canon ball cut the rope around my neck and I started flying like a paper in dust storm. In next moment I was standing on a mountain top and from that top I was able to watch the roundness of earth. I sat there for a while and when I looked beneath, I saw my naked body lying on a bed. A woman clad in green gown was drilling my heart but to my surprise there was no blood and for her surprise there was no heart. That’s my latest day dream and I was not able to interpret it until I opted for my favorite Babaji “Dr.Bookworm“.
Dr.Bookworm informed me with a big smile, “You are the victim of fantasy writing bug, My Son! “
Me : You mean I am going to be richi-rich like J K Rowling.(I was too excited )
Dr.Bookworm: No you can’t be, because in India nobody takes so much pain to line up in middle of night for a book release. So don’t be so excited, you might be a big writer but you can’t be as big as The Great Khali.
These words pinned my ballooned-excitement. And my face was like a kookaburra ball after big hitting session by Sachin-Sehwag.
Me: It’s okie baba ji, I got you intentions but first tell me the interpretations of my latest dream. (The above mentioned dream)
Dr.Bookworm: Noose around your neck means your hard-hitting job as a s/w developer and your free flow as a paper means your current profession as a blogger.
Me: What a interpretation baba ji.Jai ho! Jai ho!
Dr.Bookworm: Calm down balak, don’t sing Jai Ho! Otherwise Rehman Saab will sue you for copyright.
Me: okie Babaji, but what about the girl thing.
Dr.Bookworm: This girl likes you and she is trying hard to impress you but it seems you are heartless towards her.
Me : ohhhhh! May be but why she was in green gown?
Dr.Bookworm : I think you are a big supporter of green revolution against Global warming that’s why girl is in green gown.
So now my main purpose to come to Dr. Bookworm was over but I want to know more about my new career prospect as a fiction writer and Dr.Bookworm was the best candidate to guide me towards the path of Moksha(Richi-rich path of J K Rowling:)). So I insisted him to give me some guidance on fantasy. Then he dived into more philosophical mood and asked me, “Can you tell me the difference between the Harry Potter Series and the data reports you are making as your daily job?”
Me (I was shocked by this kind of comparison): Everything is different, from content to context.
Dr.Bookworm: Which language Harry potter and your reports are in?
Me: English
Dr.Bookworm: Means same kind of alphabets.
Me: Yes. I know that but why are you telling me this thing (It seemed to me that summer effect was too harsh on Dr.Bookworm’s mind)
Dr.Bookworm: Let me tell you the basic difference between these two. You reports describe the visible things but Harry Potter series shows you the invisible.
Me: What do you mean by visible and invisible things and how they are related to fantasy writing?
Dr. Bookworm: A good fantasy need clear vision on invisible things and a great canvas to draw those invisible things. It was the fantasy of J.R.R Tolkien which had created the most fascinated place, since than uncountable eyes have seen that invisible world of fantasy. It was invisible for everyone before J.R.Tolkien’s fantasy draws it on the canvas of The Lord of the Ring.
Me: So you mean to create a fantasy one must able to see the invisible surrounding us, is it?
Dr. Bookworm : yeah…to create a fantasy you must see the invisible surrounding you but without proper canvas you can’t able to draw those invisible things. By canvas I mean proper words, ideas to write your own fantasy.
Me : So my day-dreams and fantasies prompt you that I might be a fantasy writer because I am able to see the invisible, but lots of people have fantasies but why they not able to write?
Dr.Bookworm: Because they are not familiar with the canvas, they are not familiar with the fantasy genre, they don’t like to take the walk into the world created by so many artists and I think that’s the basic problem with you and your fantasies, you are good in watching invisible things but you are bad in drawing those things, so first read and feel the depth of fantasy genre than only you can able to write your own fantasy.
So that’s how I got the recommended list of fantasy novels from Dr.Bookworm.I am sharing this list for potential richi-rich novelists.
Highly Recommended

1. Lord Of the Rings Trilogy by J R R Tolkein(1954)

The all-time greatest work of fantasy by a Middle-Earth mile, Lord of the Rings is a classic story of good versus evil. Sauron, the Dark Lord, has all of the Rings of Power except one. A hobbit is given the task of destroying the Ring in the Cracks of Doom. He and his companions undertake a perilous journey to fend off evil.



2.’Harry Potter’ Series by J K Rowling (1997-2007)



The series kicks off with Harry’s aunt and uncle trying to hide his true destiny from him, but to no avail. He is summoned to an infamous school for wizards when he proves to be a shining light. Destiny awaits and adventure begins.



3.Chandrakanta by Devaki Nandan Khatri(1920s)



One of finest work of romantic fantasy by Indian author. So many characters and magical Tilisms.The tele-serial was not even had the 1 % excitement and magic as the novel has.




4. The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe by C S Lewis(1950)




Four English school children who step into a magical wardrobe and end up in the enchanted land of Narnia . There they meet Aslan, the golden lion, and find that eternal winter that has cursed the land.
5. The Dark Tower Series by Stephen King(1982-present)





.
Dark Tower series is Stephen King’s most fantasy-oriented work. The first and most popular in the series can be read as a stand-alone – a brooding dreamscape of good versus evil. At odds with each other is the eponymous Gunslinger and the evil Man in Black.
















6. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke(2004






In 1808 England’s only two ‘practical magicians’ set out to thwart pesky Corsican usurper Napoleon. The stubbornly conservative Mr Norrell and his colorful apprentice Jonathan Strange eventually take the course of magic in different directions, all the while with a conniving faerie looking on. Full of energy and very comparable to Rowling’s Harry Potter novels.
























7. The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger(2003)







A gentlemanly librarian has to cope with his ‘chrono displacement disorder’ – a time tripping disease with no respect for basic human dignity. Aside from running into himself a few times, he also unknowingly first encounters his future wife when she is only six.








8. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Nobel laureate Gabriel García Márquez(1967)

















The best intellectual fantasy ever written.It is the story of a century in the village of Macondo and the descendants of its founder José Arcadio Buendía. The underpinning struggle is the story of political conflict in Latin America. In Macondo, however, just about anything can happen – from the sublime to unreal and comic to tragic.









9. His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman(1995-2000)









An intricately plotted fantasy trilogy in which a girl sets out in the company of her daemon to the Far North in pursuit of kidnappers. Set in a superbly developed alternative universe full of shadowy corners. The Golden Compass(2007) movie was inspired by this trilogy only.



















10. Dark Elf Trilogy by R A Salvatore(1990-1991)






























Set in the ‘Forgotten Realms’ universe,Drizzt Do’Urden is a dark elf of the Drow who basically would like to reform his somewhat evil and nasty race. His first years of schooling and warrior training are depicted in Homeland, followed closely by Exileand Sojourn.
Some other Recommendations:-
1. The GameWorld Trilogy by Sumit Basu
2.The Woman Who Thought She Was a Planet and other Stories by Vandana Singh
3.The Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan
4.Charlie & the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
5.The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
PS :- After the recommendation by Dr.Bookworm,I am looking forward for a career as a fantasy writer and my first book will be ‘Adventure of Dr.Bookworm in Nonsense City’

Find exciting offers for Dr. Bookworm:How to write Your Own Fantasy at :
http://www.flipgraph.com/product/books/0788789813/1/The-Fellowship-of-the-Ring-(The-Lord-of-the-Rings,-Book-1)

No comments:

Post a Comment