Friday, May 14, 2010

Top 10 Supporting Roles in Bollywood

It’s a sad day for Bollywood we lost our most famous sidekick ,our very own ‘Sambha’.So while I was roaming in my thoughts about Sambha,the flashback starts running on my 17mm filmy mind about great performances by sidekicks.I like to share my list of top performances of supporting roles.There can be a debate in Bollywood about ’sidekick’ roles,every filmy pundit has own definition of supporting role but in my view supporting roles are the backbone of a successful filmy body.

1.Sher Khan(Pran) in Zanjeer:-Big B owns something to Pran,guess what???,his laugh in Zanjeer.After that Big B’s stars never stops shining.My father, a big fan of Amaitabh Bachchan told me that Zanjeer was a revolutionary movie for that time.Youth of that time was fade up with system and Vijay’s fight against that system with the help of outlaw Sher Khan redefined the action genre of Bolloywood.Why Sher Khan was a big hit,It was not his grey shed character but his commitment to friendship.And the dance sequence inYari Hai Imaan Mera and the Churi(knife)fight between Vijay and Sher Khan remain the best in its genre.Lots of characters with theme of grey shed and friendship had come and gone but no character is as powerful as Sher Khan in Zanjeer.

2.Abdul Sattar(Johnny Walker) in Pyaasa:-Time Magazine listed Pyaasa in 100 best films of all time.But that was not my reason to see the movie.My reason was the song ‘Sar jo tera chakraye‘.From the time of Chitrahar and Rangoli,I was facinated by the song and Johnny Walker,as a child I always thought that the movie which contain this song must be the funniest movie ever made,but when I watched that movie as a youngster it was a total opposite from my perception as a child but I still think Abdul Sattar played by Johnny Walker gave Pyaasa a different dimension,his character as a friend of Vijay(Guru Dutt) is a cool breeze of funny side of life in the tough desert like condition in Pyaasa.


3.Vidyapati,Banarsi,Kolkatiya,Lahori in Padosan:-Who is the best among these characters,no doubt everybody will choose Vidyapati(Kishore Da) but I choose all for of them because I feel these all four had touched a unique chemistry with Bhola(Sunil Dutt).Keshto Mukherjee as Kolkatiya in a scene where Vidyapati made him to pronounce Majnu’s real name was the real piece of comedy which comes from language restrictions.Vidyapati was the real leader of the gang but his team made this movie and every scene a delight to watch.

4.Bhaskar Banarjee (Amitabh Bachchan) in Anand:-I have a special sympathy for Bhaskar Banarjee(Amitabh Bachchan),he was a sober doctor but not lively enough and he depicts the reality of life .Without this strong character,we will not be able to see the larger than life posture of Anand Sehgal(Rajesh Khanna).The scene in which tape recorder said,”Babu Moshay.” always remind me the reality and tragedy which character of Bhaskar Banarjee had produced.


5.Champa(Sandhya) in Do Aankhen Barah Haath:-I saw this movie when I was in fifth class on Independent day and this movie become a ritual for every Independent day.I choose Champa in this list because of her energy.Champ was a great example of Indian women which can motivate her children as well she knew how to handle 12 criminals.Her performance was as exceptional as the movie itself.


6.Sambha(Mac Mohan)in Sholay:-A side kick highlights the main character that how I define a sidekick.And Sambha is the best example.Without Sambha how will Gabbar(Amjad khan) introduce himself to world,who will say how great Gabbar is?Can you imagine Gabbar without Sambha?no I can’t.That why he is on the list,without him Gabbar will be just an another boasting dacoit,but Sambha made him extraordinary by declaring everything on behalf of Gabbar.The character style of Sambha was as unique as Gabbar.And his every deed added the much needed aura in larger than life character of Gabbar Singh.




7.Team of Lagaan:- In game of cricket you can’t win without a good team effort,same is the story with Lagaan.The talented team of actors produced the much needed emotions of enthusiasm and motivation as a cricket team,and that’s why movie was a big hit,first time Indian audience was face to face with this new kind of side kick,they were 10 in numbers but with Bhuvan they created a magnificent cricket team on field.


8.Bhiku Mhatre(Manoj Bajpai ) in Satya:-Manoj Bajpai played his life time role.The intensity which Bhiku Mhatre produced was one of the most intense performance in Bollywood.This role actually drives the whole movie.The scene in which he declared himself as the raja of Mumbai,was so intense that you can feel his emotions at that point.


9.Nandu(P
ankaj Kapoor) in The Blue Umbrella:-I am very confused

about putting this character as side role but in my opinion the main lead of the movie was the Binya and her umbrella.Nandu’s innocence and passion towards umbrella drives the whole movie and the performance by Pankaj Kapoor was above any standard



10.Ram Shankar Nikumbh (Aamir Khan) Taare Zameen Par:-


Ram Shankar Nikumbh is a tough character for a super star like Aamair to play.Aamir gave this role back seat and supported character of Ishaan Awasthi(Darsheel Safary) to drive the movie but Nikumbh as a character holds the key to skilfully develop the character of Ishaan and it was a pleasant experience to see Ishaan overshadowing Nikumbh.

This list is just based on my choice and movies which I have seen.I am sure everybody has his own list regarding to supporting roles.So please share it with me.I like to extend my list on your recommendations.


Find exciting offers for Top 10 Supporting Roles in Bollywood at :

www.flipgraph.com

No comments:

Post a Comment